Huawei is always known for launching a Porsche Design with each flagship and this time the OEM has launched a Mate RS for its latest P-Series. Although the Huawei Mate RS Porsche Design consists of all the features found in P20 Pro, it does come with a tad bit of unique features and a much different price tag.
The Huawei Mate RS Porsche Design consists of a 6-inch Quad HD + 18:9 OLED FullView Display with 83.93% screen to body ratio, powered by an in-house made Kirin 970 chipset. With a 6GB RAM and 512GB of internal storage, the Huawei Mate RS is the best-known premium smartphone of 2018, so far.
Like the P20 Pro, Huawei Mate RS Porsche Design also features triple rear camera powered by Leica. The primary sensor is a 40MP RGB lens, followed by a 20MP monochromatic lens, and finally coupled with an 8MP telephoto lens.
To make things interesting, Huawei has implanted a ton of AI features that improve the phone’s performance and adds a unique flair to the photo-clicking experience, especially when it comes to taking selfies.
For instance, the rear camera comes with PDAF, CAF, Laser + Depth Autofocus, 5x Hybrid Zoom, Huawei AIS, Master AI, 960 fps super slow-mo video recording with an added ability to record videos in 4K.
The selfie-snapper too is 24MP, like the P20 Pro front-facing camera.
Although the under display fingerprint scanning is pretty new and not been implemented in other high-end smartphones seen since late 2017 to early 2018, Huawei has taken the lead in successfully implementing this technology in its Huawei Mate RS Porsche Design. Even hovering your finger over the phone is enough to wake it up from sleep, and a single-touch on the screen is sufficient to unlock it. Additionally, there’s a fingerprint sensor at the back, which could have been avoided but we suspect it’s for extra security.
Since new devices being launched are choosing Android Oreo update 8.1 as their primary OS, Huawei Porsche Design Mate RS does so too with EMUI 8.1 skin on top of it.
Huawei Mate RS Porsche Design Specifications
- 6.0-inch (2880 x 1440 pixels) Quad HD+ 18:9 OLED display with 538 PPI, 83.93% Screen-to-body ratio, 90000:1 contrast ratio
- Octa-Core Huawei Kirin 970 (4 x 2.4 GHz A73+ 4 x 1.8 GHz A53) 10nm processor + i7 co-processor, Mali-G72 MP12 GPU, NPU
- 6GB RAM with 256GB/512GB internal storage
- Android 8.1 with EMUI 8.1
- Dual SIM
- 40MP (RGB, f/1.8 aperture) + 20MP (Monochrome, f/1.6 aperture) +8MP (Telephoto lens with f/2.4 aperture) triple rear cameras with Leica lenses,5x Hybrid Zoom,
- dual-tone LED flash, laser focus, deep focus, PDAF, CAF, 960fps super slo-mo
- 24MP front-facing camera with AI beautification and 3D portrait lighting
- In-display + rear fingerprint sensor
- Water and dust resistant (IP67)
- Dimensions: 152.9 x 72.5 mm x 8.5 mm; Weight: 183g
- Dual 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.2, GPS Glonass, NFC, USB Type-C
- 4000mAh battery with fast charging, Qi wireless charging
Huawei Mate RS has a prominent Porsche Design branding with a small Huawei insignia at the backside. As far as the color choices go, only deep black is available but in China, there was also a red colored variant.
Currently, the Mate RS is priced at 1695 Euros or Rs. 1,36,270 for the 256GB storage variant and 2095 Euros or Rs. 1,68,590 for the 512GB storage. This device will start shipping on 12 April 2018.